Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Deathly Hallows Review












J.K. Rowling’s 7th and final book Deathly Hallows is one of my favorite books of her series. Rowling has been building up the story to this climactic point throughout the series. Deathly Hallows would have lost its appeal to me had I not read the first six books. In the final book Harry, Ron and Hermione leave the familiar setting of Hogwarts School of witchcraft and wizardry to search for horcruxes so that they can destroy Lord Voldemort.

From reading all of the books I have been completely immersed in everything that is the wizarding world! I love every second that I’m inside of the story because there is a total world that has been created by Rowling.


The reason that Deathly Hallows is one of my favorite books in the series is because of the action packed adventures that Harry, Ron and Hermione find themselves in over and over as they run across the country. The other battle that I find so intriguing is Harry’s internal battle over whether to hunt Hallows or Horcruxes. There have always been lessons to learn from Rowling’s books, most of the key lessons are usually given by Albus Dumbledore at the end of the books. It seemed like there was a lesson going on through the entire book Deathly Hallows. Harry seemed to be faced with following the path of searching for Horcruxes and at the same time that path was the selflessness being learned, or to search for Hallows and follow a selfish path.

In Hallows all of the questions I have had through the series about how the books would end were answered in pieces as the story progressed. I loved the intensity, and the fast rate the story unfolded. What I found the most frustrating in reading the book was Harry’s believing what Rita Skeeter wrote in her book “The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore.” I kept wanting to yell at Harry and ask him how he could believe Rita when she wrote so many lies about him in The Goblet of Fire. I did understand that Rowling was trying to use a vehicle to let us (the readers) know things about Dumbledore that we would not otherwise know. So this just showed how clever of a writer J.K. Rowling is.


I love how she develops her stories by using humor and building on characters and their relationships with each other. Rowling’s also created her own language, only people who have read the book would know what a “muggle” (non magical person) is, or know that “levi corpis” means that you are lifting a person into the air. There are so many other examples, people who have read the book know the different meanings to the words and stories, so that if someone who hasn’t read the book was listening, wouldn’t be able to understand the conversation.


I love knowing the language of the books, and feeling like I personally know each of the characters. When I am reading the books I am rooting for Harry, or I am laughing at something stupid Ron has said to Hermione, or I am shaking my head at Hermione and any of her crusades she is on, whether it is house elf rights, or women’s equality. I can read any of the books in J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series over and over again.
--rose reviewed--

No comments: