Friday, October 17, 2008

Favorite Children and Audio books


I have always loved to read outloud to my kids. When my son was very young, we would stack every dr. seuss book we had and read all of them. I also loved reading him Where the Wild Things Are!
As the kids got older we found books to read that would require atleast a half hour of sitting, it is a great way to cuddle and feel close and share something that only books can bring.
Some of my favorites to read: A Year Down Yonder; a girl is sent to live with her independant grandma during the depression while her parents look for work. It is silly and witty because the girls grandma is always up to high jinx, the grandma is not conventional by any means. We also found this book on tape, so the kids have enjoyed listening to it when they go to bed.
We love all the Ramona series. I have especially loved reading these to my middle daughter. Ramona evokes so much empathy from both me and my daughter. Because Ramona isn't perfect, and her thoughts are sometimes what any girl might think, my daughter connected easily to Ramona's struggles.
Right now I am trying to read Anne of Green Gables to my daughter, she is 7 years old, I think I might have to wait just one more year for her to be really ready for that experience. My daughter does love the way Marilla and Matthew talk, and she loves Anne's imagination, but next year she will get more from the story.
I have lots of other favorite reads, but those are at the top of my list. And of course I keep listening to Harry Potter over and over again on CD, it is a standard now in my family. My parents listen to it also, so we always have discussions about the series.
Our other favorites to listen to are the Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia and Anne McCaffrey series. These stories are packed with good story telling that we can NEVER get enough of.

No comments: